Monday, September 22, 2008

Moving On part 2

I found this post sitting in my drafts, and decided to post it.

It's always unusual running into people you used to be friends with. It never matters why the friendship crumbled or why you fell out of touch, it still results in the same sort of awkward pause at the beginning. And although it makes for an extremely awkward time, or even something that drudges up bad memories, there's always a sense of relief to know that you finally had a chance to say what you need to say and end on good terms. Especially when it happens when you least expect it.

I had the opportunity to see an old friend of mine recently. Our friendship ended in lies and backstabbing, and ultimately bad memories and wondering what was really true and good in the friendship and what was fake. It's one of those things where you'd rather hear straight from the person how they feel about you instead of hearing it from their best friend's mother's sister's dog's brother's aunt.

The conversation didn't start off too well, and I was a little apprehensive to see her again. We hadn't heard from each other since the night we ended our friendship. Part of me is glad that it took so long because there were a lot of things I was ultimately hurt about. I finally got to say what I've needed to say for this past year. What I have now is a sense of closure, and the pleasure of knowing that the things I needed to say were said. Being able to stick up for myself was also a nice change of pace.

In any case, now I feel I can move on the situation and finally forget about what it would be like seeing this particular "friend" again. I know that if we do see each other again, we will both be mature about it and make nice, though I know that it would never move past acquaintances again.

No comments: