Sunday, November 2, 2008

My Two Cents

I promised myself I wouldn't blog about this, being a 'hot topic' as of late.

But I've been watching a lot of election coverage tonight.

I'm beginning to think people are scared of change. Voting for McCain would be like voting for Bush. While Obama is relatively young and relatively new, he is working for the American people. The United States are not so united, and it would be nice to see a president who can make a positive change.

John F. Kennedy was also considered the under dog, having served only one term as a senator before making a run for the Presidency. Kennedy was also fairly young, up against politicians 30 years older. But what Kennedy did was inspire people. To see people as people, not as black, white, Hispanic, whatever you are. He stood for the civil rights movement. He also died too young. But he still inspired people to change.

Even hundreds of years ago, Lincoln supported the movement to abolish slavery. He was way ahead of his time, and fought to unite a country that was torn because of race.

Two hundred years later, there is still an issue of equality among all sorts of people. Would Obama face such opposition if he weren't black?

I think Obama will inspire change. He will fight to make this country stand united, and it would be a giant step for civil rights, a movement that began so many years ago and still is being fought today for many people.

That being said, although I am pro-Obama, I still believe it is very important for every American who have the ability to vote should. Regardless of who you vote for, we are all Americans and will support the result. I would hope that regardless of who wins, everyone would support our President.

No comments: