Friday, December 19, 2008

Caking with Kate (or just a funny story)

Wow it's been awhile! I guess I'm not so good at keeping up with these things! So I apologize to my.. um.. well, I don't know exactly how many of you actually keep up with this either. But I finally had a blog-worthy tale to share.

So this week I've been when my father calls "caking" - which is, I've been baking cakes up the wazoo. Partially because I have a Christmas party to this evening, and I wanted to bring a dessert. I also had a really huge craving for cake too - who knows, I just went with the idea and thought it would be fun. And so I've made about three cakes this week. The third is, in fact, baking itself as we speak.

The first cake actually turned out really well (perhaps it's beginner's luck, seeing as the last time I actually baked ANYTHING was years ago). I made some pretty green frosting out of a tub of butter cream frosting and green food coloring. A really pretty, spring-ish green for a Christmas-y cake. Tis the season? I guess, since I really just want warmer weather. And some turquoise blue boots, but I digress. So, having my first caking experience out of the way, I decide to wait until Thursday for my second creation, the one that was actually supposed to be going to the party.

I chose a Fudge Marble cake mix (I don't trust myself well enough to create one from scratch) and set to work. Things were going rather smoothly, the cake was marble-y looking and was all set in the oven, baking away as cakes do. I figure once it's in the oven, cakes are pretty much the easiest thing in the world. Check it in roughly a half hour, make sure the toothpick comes out smoothly.. Easy sailing from there on. Even my frosting ability looked decent!

Well, apparently, being a klutz and caking don't exactly go hand in hand.

If you guessed I tripped over my own two feet, you are correct and probably know me far too well. I tripped over my own two feet and, having baked the cake in a foil pan, well.... The pan did not fare well and proceeded to twist and bend out of shape and there goes the cake. On the floor. In large, marble-y, fudge-y looking pieces.

Sadly, it is still in pieces on the kitchen counter, in a box underneath the good cake I baked earlier this week.

On a happy note, the cake I just made is safely sitting on the counter cooling. It survived the travels from the oven to the counter (and it's in a real cake pan this time, too!). Now it just needs to survive frosting....

No comments: