Friday, March 27, 2009

A little bit of appreciation

Upon driving home the other night, I got to thinking about some things. I was listening to a local country station (I'm the most suburban wannabe cowgirl ever) and it was something about dedicating a whole two hours to those serving in the various branches of the armies, navies, marines, what have you.

The person on the air was a woman who's father was serving another term (is that what they call it?) in Iraq. He is close to retirement, and this should be his last tour I suppose.

What got me thinking is how much people like that have to give up to protect our country. How instead of the technology and other luxuries here, they instead choose to spend their time in a hot, mostly desert country with very little technology. Sadly, it is hard enough to function without a computer, television, or even lights when the power goes off yet these men and women spend months on end without the basics.

How hard it must be to suit up everyday (uniform up?) knowing that today could be your last. I'm not sure I could stand that sort of uncertainty, though life alone is uncertain enough without putting yourself in that position. Then again, I am not a person who likes a whole lot of change either.

At any rate, I just wanted to take the time to appreciate those fighting for our freedom. As hard as it is to imagine, it's still happening, so. thank you.

On a further note, I still can't not cry when listening to Toby Keith's "American Soldier."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i think Toby Keith is cool. Most of his songs are full of emotion for the soldiers who go out and do the dirty work.

I remember his couresy of the red, white and blue when 9/11 happened. very moving.