Wednesday, January 28, 2009

On Working Out

Whew.

I am hoping this gets easier as I go.

I'm speaking of my newfound goal of trying to work out a few times a week. I started swimming this past Monday (the 19th) after work. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy it, and I never seemed to be able to fit it in with my current schedule. But when there's a will, there's a way.

I really enjoy swimming. For being a cardiovascular workout, it really can be low-impact which is safer for my knee. I have a floating patella which means my knee cap isn't always in the right place and that can get pretty painful. When I was in high school and in an alternative gym class because of Marching Band, it used to be very troublesome. I was delegated to walking the track for 30 minutes three times a week because I wasn't really allowed to run. Besides, I don't run very well either but that's besides the point.

With swimming, I'm able to go as fast as I can and not kill my knee. I used to be on swim team when I was younger. I wish I'd kept that up, because I used to be able to swim more laps without getting as winded as I do now.

This is going to be an adventure, that's for sure. But I'm excited to try to keep up with this work out plan as much as possible. Currently, I plan on swimming two to three times a week and possibly doing weights an extra day per week but we'll see how that goes. I assume I will be in pain for most of the first few weeks of this!

2 comments:

Dolce said...

oh! I hate working out too. I have to trick myself into going. Seriously. It's 30 minutes in my own personal hell.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your workouts! I wish I could be one of those people who could work out in a pool, but for the life of me, I could never learn how to swim.