Sunday, May 3, 2009

Appreciating the Little Things

Based off my last post, it seems that I've forgotten the little things in life.

The kind of thing you do while you're growing up, that you don't necessarily continue doing once you get a job, go to college, and are tossed into the real world. The real world sucks so much out of you sometimes though so it's nice to get back to the little things from time to time. A refreshing dose of how SIMPLE life was when your biggest worry was enduring puberty in junior high.

So today when I got home I decided to take a bike ride, which wasn't a decision totally made with being nostalgic, but just seemed like a good way to enjoy the nice weather. It's been a few years since I've set foot on a bike, and generally the problem I tend to have is getting so far away from home that when it's time to turn around I just don't feel like bicycling any more. Anyway, it was super nice and super relaxing though. Nothing like having a bike, an iPod, and gorgeous weather on my side to influence some cardio.

It reminded me of the old days, when I would have to bike everywhere just to get around. When walking took too long and driving was not an option, seeing as I was between the ages of 8 and 13 when bicycling was the thing to do to get around. I'd go every where, from friends' houses, just biking around the neighborhoods with them, to the store to get some junk food. We even had a bicycle field trip in 8th grade, where we biked around town and learned about the history.

And, as a friend pointed out while I stopped at CVS for a drink, there's no cost in biking. The gas is unlimited, so long as my legs don't give out. And there's nothing better than biking off into the sunset. (sorry, that couldn't be helped)

Added bonus? I only nearly took a spill once. And that was because I forgot to brake before I put my feet down (typed that sounds pathetic!).

No comments: