Saturday, May 2, 2009

A Little Retail Therapy

Many of my jobs have been retail-orientated. Which means unfortunately the customer is always right (even if they're not) and we are the ones who get stomped upon by someone having a bad day. Since I started working at a grocery store back when I was 17, everything I've done has been consumer-related. Obviously at that age and having no job experience, all I could probably be is a retail employee.

What really bugs me about this is that people are either a. unnecessarily demanding and b. unnecessarily CRAZY when it comes to certain things. Yes, I work in a pharmacy. I am a technician, which apparently means I can either know a lot or little depending on who you're asking. I get that, yes, you may very well be feeling like crap and obviously so, but that doesn't mean you get to be a jerk.

Niceness goes along way in my profession. I'm a lot more willing to help a person out when they're being nice about it. Sad but true. And because we tend to talk to the people handling your claims on the insurance end of it, I can guarantee the nicer the techs are who speak to those handling your claims, the result is having the claim processed faster.

Secondly, if you ask me a question after I've told you the answer, it's not going to change regardless of how you phrase the question. Sir, we need to contact your doctor for a refill isn't going to change even if you ask the question in five different ways. One of the downsides is sometimes having to explain things multiple times, it's unnecessary to repeat something four different times.

Third, we do not control prices of certain medications. I cannot even begin to say how many people have asked me why their medication is as much as it is, it all depends on how much your insurance pays and what for. Because insurance plans vary, it's damn near impossible to tell anybody how much they will pay. So, most of the time, I'm going to tell you to contact your benefits coordinator.

Sadly, it's been a crazy week in the pharmacy life. Which is partially why I haven't posted much in the past few weeks, there isn't a whole lot I want to do right now than complain about a few things. And, as a result of me working 6 days a week in the pharmacy, it becomes even more evident how some people just suck.

Hope you all have a good weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl I work in the pharmacy world too...I feel like I know EXACTLY where you are coming from! I got your back girl!!!

V